Thursday, December 20, 2007

Happy Birthday, Jesus!

Today my friend, Jamie, planned a very creative party. It was a birthday party for Jesus! Since all us parents are working so hard to get our kids to understand this most-important part of Christmas, a birthday party was a wonderfully concrete way for the little ones to experience it. She made and decorated a cake for Jesus and we all sang "Happy Birthday to You!" She had all the kids sit story-hour style while she read the Christmas story and we even made a craft. Ella also came home with a goody bag-- a tiny nativity with all the characters to play with. I appreciate Jamie's thoughtful plans and smile at Ella's constant questioning "Where's Jesus?"

2 comments:

Dorina Gilmore said...

What a thoughtful and meaningful idea. Someone else just told me about a "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake tradition they have with their family - but a whole party is awesome.

Blessings as you celebrate,
Dorina & Meilani & Ericlee

Anonymous said...

That's sweet. My sister in law does the same thing each year and I know my nephews really get into it. I remember when I was a kid mom said I could draw pictures as a birthday present for Jesus. Then I drew a real bad one with like a spanking spoon or something for satan. Mom yelled at me when the caption "You suck" was written on the top of one. I guess we all do our part.