Saturday, January 26, 2008

Go Calvin!

Though they ended up loosing by 3 points in the last few minutes, today we still enjoyed watching the Calvin-Hope basketball game via the College Sports Network at the home of fellow alum, Nate. My Alma Mater, Calvin College, has long held a classic rivalry with nearby Christian college, Hope. This big basketball game is the climax of the contention, broadcast all over the country to spirited alumni fans. Today we gathered, ranging in graduation class from '98 to '04 ('30 if you count Delia), to cheer on our Knights with our non-Calvin spouses-- who were not worthy to be pictured. :)


The menu was classic ball game food: pizza, pop, chips, dips, homemade caramel corn and these brownies I baked and stenciled.



I even pulled out the old "No Hope, Go Calvin" T-shirt from the bottom of a drawer and dismissed my husband's reminders that it is now 10 years old. Yikes! Wasn't I just in college yesterday? When Ella saw me wearing it, she said, "You have a sign on your shirt, Mommy! What sign is that?" She made us all laugh by taking breaks from her coloring to randomly yell, "Go Calvin" like I taught her.


The girls did great, being the only kids at the toy-less bachelor pad where we watched the game. Delia's attention was held for a good hour with this simple pom-pom.

Dave took Ella on a date earlier this week to a high school basketball game. She made it through 3 quarters of the freshman game. So, this time we came prepared and armed with a bag of coloring books, stickers, crafts and stories. It helped that one of her favorite people in the world, our worship-coordinator Heidi (also the product of a mixed Calvin/Trinity marriage), was there to give her lots of attention.

1 comment:

Dorina Gilmore said...

GO CALVIN! I LOVE the shirts & especially the way you are indoctrinating your girls. My non-dutch, Calvin-loving heart is aflutter. And the whole mixed marriage thang had me giggling. I thought I was from a mixed marriage. Go figure.