Friday, June 5, 2009

Delia Translator

I remember writing this post when Ella was in that beginning stage of talking. Since this blog has morphed into my personal scrapbook, I thought I jot down some of my favorite Delia expressions too.

"Eee ennn!"
Translation: "The end!"
Whenever we read a story, Delia relishes her role of giving us closure-- shutting the back cover and declaring the end.
.
"No goot-goo."
Translation: "No thank you."
It's worth noting that Delia is SO polite. Without having to be reminded, she naturally says "pees" and "goot-goo" for everything she wants and is given and even the things she does not want. Of course, I love this about her vocabulary.
.
"Daddy hummmm!"
Translation: "Daddy's home!"
Delia's the second one in the house to alert me to this each day. Lily, with her high-bark and dash outside, is the first.

"A-hugga-me?"
Translation: "Will you hug me?"
This is the sweetest thing! She asks this several times a day and you know I will drop whatever I'm doing to oblige.

"All done nigh-nigh!"
Translation: "I'm awake, come get me!"
Yes, this is what I hear rattling off my walls each morning and afternoon.

"Hi Gramma!"
Translation: "Hello virtually any woman older than my mom!"
It's adorable when she wanders around greeting the ladies at church this way, I dread when it's spoken to someone no where near being grandma-aged at the grocery store.

"I SEE NOW!"
Translation: "I may be small, but I fully expect to enjoy whatever you big people are doing!"
To use the cliche-- I'd be rich if I had a nickle for each time I heard this one. From the animals at the zoo, to the spider I've squished, to the garbage truck to whatever we are reading/cooking/crafting, Delia thinks she must be part of the viewing action.

And it's not me overusing it, by the way, Delia always speaks with an exclamation point! :)

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

She just keeps getting cuter...just like her sis!
Amy

Anonymous said...

That was adorable!

love, auntie karen

Wicker Family said...

Ah, language development. . . You've done such a great job capturing her phrases phonetically. (If I did that with Drew's, I would probably get in trouble with the FCC -- he uses "F" instead of "T" in some unfortunate words. . .) Looking forward to seeing you on Weds.