Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Mouth Watering and Heart Warming

When I realized how busy Dave would be this week with Classis and the kick-off of his youth group, I decided it would be a good opportunity for a road trip down south to spend time with friends. The three of us ladies stopped first at Dorina and Meilani's house yesterday where we were welcomed with open arms and Dorina's trademark hospitality. Before my departure, she emailed me this incredible menu from which I was to pick out my birthday dinner (I'll be 30 on Saturday). So Ella and I feasted like we never have before. Lunch was whole wheat quesadillas and tortilla soup. Dinner was the stuffed manicotti shells, fresh baked bread and Dorina's famous meatballs and sauce. Breakfast was quiche, fresh fruit and homemade granola in organic yogurt (Ella couldn't get enough of this). Good thing we took an almost 3 mile hike around the neighborhood with the kids in strollers! Dorina's gift is cooking and she loves to share this as her gift to others. And another gift to me was a homemade cookbook filled with Dorina's secret recipes.

I always enjoy watchining Ella play with her friends-- and she loves Meilani-- but the best part of my trip to Dorina's was the time I got to spend with my friend. We stayed up late eating my birthday tiramisu in our jammies, "spying" on our college friends on Facebook and having involved conversations about YA literature and our favorite authors (Dorina is 60 pages into the novel she is writing). It was a perfect visit.

4 comments:

Jonathan said...

Hi Ella,

I'm so glad you had a fun trip and can't wait to see you soon! My vehicles still like to go to your birthday party.

It sure makes our moms happy when they see their old friends, huh?

Love,
Jonathan

Dorina Gilmore said...

Hi Jen,

We had such a fabulous time with you girls. Thanks for all the props in your blog. I feel Blog Famous even though it was supposed to be celebrating your B-day.

I'll e-mail you some of the non-blog photos - they are so fun. We are becoming photo fanatics!

Enjoy the rest of the week!

Love & Hugs,
Dorina

P.S. We miss Ella & her boots and the sweet kissable Delia.

Dorina Gilmore said...

Happy actual 30th birthday, Mama!
We're excited to hear about your day...
Dorina

VP's said...

Hi Jen,

Thanks for visiting my blog and "Happy Birthday!"

Your girls are sooo cute!

Tell Dave we say "hi!"

~Andrea