Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A California First! (A Rare Dave Post)

So, tonight while Jen was putting Ella to bed, I experienced a California first. I was sitting down, when all of the sudden the couch felt like it was a waterbed or like it was on a moving platform. It only lasted a few seconds, but I got up and said, "Jen, I think we just had an earthquake!"

Since Jen was rocking Ella at the time, she didn't feel anything, but we could see the strings on our blinds, the doors on Ella's closet and all dangling decorations still swaying slightly.

Jen's response was, "What should we do? Should we be scared?"

Sure enough, shortly after, I learned that there was an earthquake that measured 5.6 centered about 50 miles away near San Jose. There is more information about where it was and who felt what, here. Even though it was labeled "a moderate earthquake," from what I have heard there has been little damage-- the worst possibly being some glass jars that fell off a grocery store shelf. It probably won't make the national news.

Okay, so the event and telling of the story is not that great, but I feel it was a significant milestone for our life in this western state and felt the need to share.

5 comments:

Dorina Gilmore said...

Wow, I remember my first earthquake experience was the month week I moved to California. I happened to be in L.A. visiting my bro and we were in a second floor hotel room. The floor rippled and the lamps were shaking. We were all sleeping so I thought it was a weird bad dream but it was the E-word.
Take care you guys,
Dorina

Sarah VB said...

I had heard there was an earthquake in the bay area and was curious if it was strong enough to be felt in your area. Sounds like it was! I have heard that earthquakes are one of the scariest experiences for some people, since the one thing you rely on for stability - the ground - all of a sudden no longer is. But I actually think they're kind of fun. At least the little ones like you just had are. (:

Anonymous said...

I think the correct response in a situation like that is to panic. I would be filling up the bathtub with water, throwing everything valuable on the front lawn and hiding in the closet with a box of cheerios. By the way, this is my usual response to any "disaster"
(Natural or Imagined.) How creepy!
Glad it was an after thought to be scared-how are we related? :)
Love,
Kris

Jonathan said...

Hi Mr. Dave,

We are all so sad because we didn't feel it, and my dad has never felt an earthquake before. Congratulations on your first one. My mom says the great thing is that it was a cool experience and didn't hurt anybody.

Have fun at the harvest party tonight! Tell Ella she can drop by and trick-or-treat here if she wants to.

Love,
Jonathan

Gail said...

I read your blog earlier this evening and am now watching the news. They just did a story on your earthquake. It did make national news! Give a big hug to the family for us. We miss you all.
Gail and Matt