Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Gifts for Teachers

Having taught for a while, I have a bit of experience in the "What to give a teacher for Christmas?" department. I have personally come home with the big bag of mugs, pins, ornaments, lotions and candles and dumped or donated most of it. When considering the variety of teachers and caregivers our children are blessed to have in their lives this year, I was feeling a little overwhelmed with how to show our appreciation. What are some of your best teacher Christmas gifts? I'll share my idea because I'm pretty excited about it!
******
First, Ella and I made a big batch of White Chocolate Party Mix. This is something a student once gave me, and it is so good I still remember it! (The parent also supplied me with the recipe-- see the side bar if you'd like it too.) Ella loved being involved in the measuring, mixing and bagging of this simple treat. Tied to each bag of Party Mix we will include a note about a donation we are making in honor of all our teachers this year. Ella browsed through the CRWRC catalog with us (we also checked out World Vision) and picked out a goat and chalkboards. We'll buy these things for the needy as a gift to our teachers. With Ella's preschool teachers having taught for 30 years with about 50 students a year, I have to believe they are set with apple ornaments and 2 Teach is 2 Touch Lives 4 Ever mugs. We hope this gift will be a blessing all around. To Ella, who had an active role in picking/making it, it already was!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite teacher gift was when I received an hour of housecleaning service! A much-need gift this time of year!!

Laura (Jenn's sister-in-law, Karen's, sister-in-law)

Wicker Family said...

You made me smile with your re-hashing of teacher gifts. I've brought home my share of garbage bags full of the same stuff. My favorite gift was a very generous gift certificate for a dinner out with my husband. (It was given, I believe, by a desperate father who arrived to pick up his son from school and discovered his distraught son wanted to give his teacher a gift. He then drove to the restaurant and returned with the gift. I'm confident the mom would not have chosen to be quite so generous). Good times!

Dorina Gilmore said...

I just noticed these are the same bags we used to pack our Peanut Butter Granola for neighbors & friends. It's so fun to see how our lives & traditions parallel.