Monday, March 9, 2009

Hamburgers for Dinner!

Once again we were blessed with the gift of a third of a cow from some generous dairy farmers in our church. Today we went to The House of Beef to load our car up with boxes of frozen stew meat, patties and ground beef. Though we always get through it, it seems like an insane amount of meat! I'm counting on Dave's youth group to help us eat some of the almost 200 hamburger patties. And anyone that I bring a meal to is going to get my crock-pot beef stew for the next year! Tonight's chicken dinner was put on hold so we could bust out the hamburgers and make our favorite Bacon-Pepperjack Burgers (recipe to the right).
Ella and Delia helped Dave get all the meat into the freezer. See their assembly line?

We were a little surprised at how fast our cow got butchered. We thought we had a week or two, when we were told at church yesterday that it was ready! We had to quick run out this morning and get a new freezer to store it in. Our old freezer died last year while we were at Mt. Hermon (I'll spare you the gory details of how lovely that was to find: one week, several pounds of meat, 105 degree temps...) We knew this is what we'd have to spend our Costco rebate check on. The giant freezer box kept the kids entertained all day. Dave cut a door and windows in it and they played house and elephants in a cage.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great how much fun they can have with an empty box??
It is wonderful that you have such generous, loving people in your church. And, it's great that you are so willing to share that gift with others!
Talk to you soon -
MOM

Anonymous said...

I remeber when I was about 5, my folks bought a new wash machine and we got to play in the box. My sister and I had lunch in our new play home! Boxes are great fun! Dad

Wicker Family said...

Never let a good box go unused:-) I know how much fun my kids have had in moving boxes, and such!

Dorina Gilmore said...

This cow thing is pretty amazing - makes me want to move to your neighborhood...