Friday, April 25, 2008

Fairy Tale Fun

One of our recent check-outs from the library was a counting book featuring fairy tale characters. I was quickly dismayed to learn that Ella knew none of them. She was completely clueless about who Goldilocks, the 3 pigs, the Gingerbread Man and the troll under the bridge were. Even though Ella is an avid reader, she had no fairy tales in her personal library! So I began the quest to add these important books to our shelves. The ones pictured here are all recommended. I studied James Marshall (author of 3 pigs, 3 bears and Red Riding Hood) in a Children's Lit class and the board books are great, sturdy summaries that were only $5 at B&N. The Little Red Hen is actually the version I grew up with.

Thanks to our free Amazon Prime from Kyle, Ella thinks every truck, bus, street cleaner or loud car coming down our street is the UPS guy and says, "The present truck is here to bring me presents!" Yes the delivery of new books was exciting, but even more fun has been all the creative play that's come with new stories...

We can play this 100 times in a row: Ella is the 3 Billy Goats Gruff and she crosses the coffee table bridge narrowly escaping the troll hiding underneath (yep, me). She squeals as I grab her and convinces me that her brother would be a much better meal. I thought this picture was too funny-- Lily the troll (our mailman would concur that Lily does indeed sound like a monster who wants to eat him!)


We also set out porridge bowls and chairs for Ella to sample until she finds the one that is just right. A true Goldilocks.


One rousing game of "Run, run as fast as you can, you can't catch me I'm the Gingerbread Man!" (a glorified chase game) actually woke Delia from her nap. And we also made these 3 houses-- one has straw, one has sticks and one has bricks glued on it. Ella makes me laugh each time she reads the "No, no, no, not by the hair of my chinny chin chin!" line in her high little voice.



So now I no longer feel that my children will be deprived of these classics and we have so many fun new games to play and crafts to make!

3 comments:

Dorina Gilmore said...

Wow, Jen, you are so creative. I love how you are knitting children's literature into your girls' hearts. You are a dream for every children's book writer!
Happy Reading and Playing!
Auntie Dorina

Anonymous said...

I actually made my acting debut in "The little red hen". Not sure if a part was created for me or not but I was the frog and mom stuck all these huge circles all over my green sweatsuit. Come to think of it, I was the donkey in the Jesus play too! Wait a minute....I never realized my preschool teacher was out for me until I wrote that right now! Is there a frog in the book? Does it need to stand in the corner of the classroom at recess?
Love,
Auntie Kris

tlg said...

Very fun, Jen! Nathan and the girls would love these activities too. Thanks for sharing!

Love,
Teri