Saturday, April 5, 2008

Working in the "Yar-din"


As I type this, my neck is prickling with sunburn, I'm covered in dirt and my back is aching. But I am filled with that satisfied feeling you get when you complete a big project. It's no secret to those who have visited us that our backyard is a constant work in progress. Between the dog-eaten sprinklers, the forest of weeds, the gopher holes and fence that keeps falling down, it would be a good place to just avoid all together. However with kids, outside play time is essential, so we work hard to make our yard as pretty and friendly as possible. Today it was a giant gardening project. I raked, shoveled and carried a dozen wheelbarrow loads of mulch out of the garden to plant the veggies Ella and I picked out at the nursery this morning (tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, green beans and cantaloupe). We also splurged on 5 new flowering shrubs to plant in each of 5 wine barrel planters. The list of yard improvements goes on, but today we made a happy, colorful, veggie-producing difference!

No comments: