Monday, August 4, 2008

The Double Wide

Yesterday I briefly took you across the country with us as I reminisced on the journey to California we made 5 years ago this week. Today I'll show you what home was waiting for us at the end of that trek. As you read and view the following, keep in mind that we are bona fide city folk. We understood that our new church was in a "rural" area, but we didn't expect to be living smack in the middle of the country in a trailer when we got here!
It actually worked out perfectly. We wanted to buy our first home here, but knew we had to do that in person. We did house shop in the first week we arrived and God did deliver our current home right into our hands in the most amazing fashion (another blog-- stay tuned). While we waited the two months for escrow to close we rented this double wide from people who were connected to the church.

Here it is. Kinda cute, huh? Just keep scrolling...


This was our hay. This is Nick drinking his morning coffee in our hay.


These were our goats, they lived in our front yard.


And this was our donkey. He lived in our back yard. He liked carrots and making scary donkey noises at night. Do I even need to describe how confused we were the first night we heard this unfamiliar sound?

I thank God for our home in town every single day, but I'll remember the double wide fondly. And I've actually embraced our country life too. I like that my daughters will grow up thinking the smell of cows in the air is normal, you can't get anywhere without passing miles of orchards and that a short bike ride will take you to see animals I only ever saw in a zoo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That double wide was great! I remember how excited we were to come for a visit the first time. We were there for Dave's ordination - and now it's been five years already! God has certainly blessed you and our family over the years.
Love,
MOM

Sarah VB said...

Well, it was definitely very, um, "pastoral," right? :) I bet your girls would love it if you lived there now!

Dorina Gilmore said...

Wow, it is truly amazing that you have been Californians for 5 years. There's no turning back now, guys!