Sunday, August 3, 2008

Five Years Ago This Week...

I've been feeling sort of nostalgic this week. The first week of August always marks the anniversary of the start of our California life. Since I've also been feeling a bit uncreative with the blog lately (noticed less updates?) I think I'll do a series of posts about our super fun road trip/move out here.



I'll remember the trip to California for my whole life for one reason: Nick and Amy. Our best friends who were also seminarians waiting for a church call graciously took a week out of their lives to help us move across the country. What could have been a stress-filled journey across 9 states with our every possession became a road trip filled with laughs, memories and crazy adventure.



Here's a little stow-away (nephew Calvin at 1 year!)



The mighty Mississippi



The view for 2 whole days: corn, corn, corn...



We broke the trip into small chunks to make it very manageable. While 2 drove in the rented Penske truck (nicknamed Big Bird) that trailed the old Saturn, the other 2 would follow in the little red pickup (nicknamed Little Red). Thanks to some walkie talkies, we had hours of stories, Mad Libs and 20 questions to make the miles fly by. The first night we stayed in Lincoln, Nebraska. Unknown to us (since we are not Hell's Angels) we moved across the Midwest during the week of Sturgis-- a giant "convention" for everyone in the country owning a Harley. We found ourselves with a "No room at the inn" situation when we tried to find a hotel for the night. After a tiring day of packing and driving, my favorite memory of the trip was the night all 4 of us spent in one king bed in the last room of the last hotel!



Second night-- Cheyenne, Wyoming. (I think this is a map check in Wyoming)



We strategically picked Salt Lake City as our third night. We actually got to do a little sight-seeing. We visited the area that all the speed ice events were held at for the Olympics. Very cool.



Last night was Reno. More memorable than the lights or $12 I think I won in slots was this amazing parallel parking job the guys did in a crazy tight city lot!


With just a few hours' drive after Reno we arrived at our first California home, I'll relive that for you tomorrow...

3 comments:

Sarah VB said...

Hey, I recognize that truck! I think we used the exact same one (with the car pulled behind!) when we moved to Iowa 5 years ago.

Wish we had Nick and Amy with US though - I can only imagine how much fun that must have been! :)

Amy said...

Awww...
You are so sweet!
What a nice blog! We had such a great time with you and are so thankful that we got to make that trek. It was so great to see you set up in your new home, new church, new state.
And it was one of the most fun weeks we have had-becuase of you! :) We still listen to the California CD you burned.

Quiver Full said...

Oh my goodness, that cracks me up! It is hilarious that you all had to stay in a king sized bed! Sounds like you all had a great time...tons of memories! thanks for sharing them!

Nikki