Tuesday, August 12, 2008

One of Us


We are a family of readers. Dave is currently racing through Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment...FOR FUN! I simply cannot read at night because given the choice of "Go to bed or stay up all night finishing the book" I will always choose the latter (and this already tired mama can't be pulling all-nighters!) Ella's security item at night has not so much been the soft blankie that she's had since infancy, but the stack of 20 books she insists we leave with her so she can read herself to sleep. Amazon.com must know us personally by now and we actually have our vast collection of books listed as a valuable on our insurance policy!

So, yes, Delia's very recent discovery of reading has made us all happy. I've been reading stories to this girl her whole life, but she's never been able to sit long enough to hear more than a few words. And on her own she's never shown any interest. Lately, though, her favorite activity is to grab a book off a low shelf (and I've strategically placed all her favorites within her reach) and come lumbering toward one of us, holding it out and yelling "Ahhhh!" (perhaps that's Delia-speak for "Can you please read this to me?") Then, no matter where I am at-- in the middle of making dinner, vacuuming the bathroom, etc.-- I have to sit down right there as she crawls into my lap and listens contently, often to several stories in a row!

She walks, she feeds herself, she knows how to make us laugh, she says a few words and can shake her head "no," but this recent development may be my favorite so far. In my opinion, there is nothing better than a little one snuggled up next to you sharing a story!

3 comments:

KyleVM said...

That's my girl! She knows how to make an uncle proud. -Uncle Kyle

Dorina Gilmore said...

We're so excited you have another reader in your fam. We'll have to get one of Auntie Dorina's books in her hands soon! ;)

Wicker Family said...

There is so much to relate to here (and in so many of your posts!). Even my "mach-10, never-slow-down, hair-on-fire" Andrew LOVES to cuddle up with a book. . . on his own terms of course -- His choice of book, his choice of time, his choice of reader.