Saturday, January 24, 2009

Blessed

Today I experienced something totally unique and in traveling to be a blessing, I came home blessed myself. My college roomie Dorina is due with her second daughter in about a month. Since she is set with baby gear and girl clothes she requested a "Mother's Blessing" instead of a traditional baby shower. Dorina and her family anticipate a busy February with many changes and adjustments-- a huge church mission project, a new career for Ericlee and a home birth, Dorina felt she more needed prayers, encouragement and time in the Bible with her best mama friends. What a rewarding thing to be a part of! I came home completely encouraged and blessed by the wisdom and testimonies of so many wise and faithful mothers.

The whole day was really something and I could go on and on about the food alone, but to limit myself, I'll share 3 highlights. First, we were all told to bring a bead with special meaning to string onto a necklace for Dorina. I placed two heart shaped beads on her necklace, a big one for Meilani and a little one for Baby Giada. I explained what a privilege it is for me to mother two daughters and how much happiness I personally receive from having a sister. I wish my friend the same blessings in watching her two girls grow to become best friends.

Second, Dorina's mom Maria gave a powerful reminder of how motherhood is a call to be a servant when she washed her daughter's feet after reading the Gospel account of Jesus doing this for his disciples. Third was a devotion from a friend of Dorina's that spoke right into my heart. It was about how we crave control as moms, but will never have it. The story of our children is written and narrated by the Lord, not us. The best we can do is nurture, instruct and provide a loving environment in which our little ones will thrive. Our most important job as mothers is to pray for and surrender our kids to God's will. Wow!
Dorina insisted I bring Ella along, even though the vibe of tearful sharing and prayer wasn't exactly kid-friendly. Her and Meilani kept each other busy playing and jumping. Ericlee (Dorina's generous hubbie) even took them to the park for a couple hours. I had to smile when Ella followed right in her mommy's college-day footsteps by raiding Meilani's closet for a new dress to wear! Future roommates themselves some day, perhaps!
******
I'm so thankful we had a 2 hour drive home in which Ella crashed and I could digest the depth of the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jen! What an awesome idea - I have never heard of that, but am truly inspired by the meaning behind it. How incredible to be able to share the joys of motherhood with a group of loving, Christian women. I am so happy that you have such great, Godly friends! love, karen

Anonymous said...

Jen, your blog made me cry. Truly what a blessing to get together and encourage one another as Christian Moms. I am so thankful that you have such a wonderful support system, and that you can learn from other Moms. You and your friends realize what an important job it is to be a Mom, and that you can only do the best with God's help. I love you!
MOM

Dorina Gilmore said...

Jen,
I was so blessed to have you at the "Mother Blessing." It meant so much to me that you would take time to drive to join our circle of moms here in Fresno. Even more, I appreciated your words of encouragement and love that help me along as I anticipate Giada's birth. Thank you for sharing the parts of the day that blessed you. This completes the circle. What a privilege to walk this journey with you, my friend. God truly has blessed me.
Love,
Dorina
P.S. Can't wait to use the pink & brown outfits on my girls. Love 'em!