Sunday, January 4, 2009

Dave's Reading List -2008

Well, for the second year in a row now, I have decided to steal the idea from one of our friends and keep track of all of the books that I read for the past year. This list includes only those books that were finished in the past year, which means no portions of books, but possibly some books started last year and finished this year are included.

As a general evaluation, books in green get a positive review, books in red a negative one, and books in black are just neutral.

Personal Reading:
"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" by: J.K. Rowlings 652 pgs.
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by: J.K. Rowlings 759 pgs.
"Thirteen Moons" by: Charles Frazier 422 pgs.
"The Island at the Central of the World" by: Russell Shorto 325 pgs.
"The Shack" by: William Young 248 pgs.
"Crime and Punishment" by: Fyodor Dostoevsky 518 pgs.
"Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and Other Stories" by: Robert Louis Stevenson 406 pgs.
"Charlotte's Web" by: E.B. White 184 pgs.
"The Wednesday Wars" by: Gary Schmidt 264 pgs.
"City of Ember" by: Jeanne DuPrau 270 pgs.
"Seven Novels by: H.G. Wells 935 pgs.
- "The Time Machine"
- "The Island of Dr. Moraeu"
- "The Invisible Man"
- "The War of the Worlds"
- "The First Men In the Moon"
- "The Food of the Gods"
- "In the Days of the Comet"
"1984" by: George Orwell 359 pgs.
"The People of Sparks" by: Jeanne DuPrau 338 pgs.

Professional Reading:
"Good to Great" by: Jim Collins 260 pgs.
"Why Men Hate Going to Church" by: David Murrow 234 pgs.
"Get Out of That Pit" by: Beth Moore 249 pgs.
"The Pursuit of Holiness" by: Jerry Bridges 154 pgs.
"They Like Jesus but Not the Church" by: Dan Kimball 262 pgs.
"The Reformed Pastor" by Richard Baxter 256 pgs.
"Hurt: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers" by: Chap Clark 195 pgs.
"It Came from Within" by: Andy Stanley 220 pgs.
"Searching for God Knows What" by: Donald Miller 246 pgs.
"Rumors of Another World" by: Phillip Yancey 245 pgs.
"Winning on Purpose" by: John Kaiser 173 pgs.
"The Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage" by: Dr. Laura Schlessinger 226 pgs.
"Questions from the Pickle Jar" by: Ron DeBoer 88 pgs.
"Leveraging Your Leadership Style" by: John Jackson & Lorraine Bosse-Smith 123 pgs.
"The Perfect 10" by: Michael Moriarity 230 pgs.
"The 10 Commandments: Manual for Christian Life" by: J. Douma 394 pgs.
"Bored with God" by: Sean Dunn 105 pgs.

Total count for 2008: 30 books totalling 9,340 pages.

Some notes:
First, I do feel a little guilty mentioning books like "Charlotte's Web" that even had pictures, but reading it with Ella was a real highlight for the year. Plus, I made up for every one of those easy pages with the H.G. Wells book, that literally had about 3 pages worth of type on each page.

Second, while I have always enjoyed classic literature, I was surprised to see how many I had actually read for this year.

Finally, I will say that I did fall a bit short of my goal. At the end of the year, I was hoping to finish enough for 9,600 pages, which would mean an average of 800 pages per month. Oh well, I still feel accomplished with what I did.

Happy Reading in 2009!

1 comment:

Wicker Family said...

I'm so impressed! Do you have iread (I think it is now weread) application on your Facebook? You would be a prime candidate. I have never done well at keeping track of my reading. . . And after motherhood, I found that I couldn't keep up my 2-3am reading schedule. I would love to chat about these books. Do you have the sequel to City of Ember? Not as good but still worth the read.