Monday, January 26, 2009

The Gift

This is the special gift my Aunt Janette shared with me last Monday. I waited a week to post it because I wanted to surprise my sister with it too. She is presently on route to California, so I guess I can post now! The gift was glimpses into the life of my dad, who I actually knew very little about. Aunt Janette and her daughter Jill found at least a hundred pictures of my dad growing up-- proms, vacations, baby pictures, the Lake Forrest house they grew up in, poses with his little brother (my Uncle Dave), graduation, an early-in-the-relationship Christmas with my mom, etc. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed and instantly emotional when I opened this gift. This whole week I've loved sorting through the stacks of in-excellent-condition photos and learning more about my dad. My wonderful husband has been scanning each picture so Heather can take a digital copy home with her.


My dad and Uncle Dave-- Dad's on the tricycle.


My dad in his little Jimmy shirt with his parents. Never got to meet this Grandpa.


Dad standing, Uncle Dave in the highchair.


He was good-lookin', huh?


A cheesy pose after my own heart! Love this vacation shot of the men of his family. He's the one on the back of the bike.


My dad's the one holding the rifle, Uncle Dave holding the kill.


I must say that the Dutch genes are strong! I don't see much of blue-eyed/blond-haired Heather, me or my girls in my dad. However, I'm convinced I inherited many of his personality traits.

7 comments:

Amy said...

What a beautiful gift-and how wonderful to have another piece of your past!
I hope you have a good time reconnecting with your aunt!

Sarah said...

Wow, Jenn, this is a beautiful gift. I am having my Mom's pictures scanned now. So we will always be able to enjoy them. It is amazing how good of quality they still are. What a joy for you to get pictures of your Dad.

Linking Lines said...

What precious memories you were given! It is so neat to see pictures from the past. It sure puts life into perspective at how simple things were and maybe still should be. We are happy for you at getting such a special gift!

Jonathan said...

Wow, Jen, these are precious. I can't think of a more meaningful gift. I bet your sister will be floored. How wonderful!

Enjoy your visit!

Anonymous said...

How special and what perfect timing, too - now you and Heather can go through them together!

I would love to see more of these pictures when we come out and hear more about your dad!

love always, Karen

Quiver Full said...

Oh Jen,
What a wonderful gift! It made me totally cry! I feel like in the picture of your dad working on some machinery, I see a little bit of Delia. What a beautiful gift!

Dorina Gilmore said...

What an unbelievable gift this is - especially given how much you love photographs. Thanks for sharing this intimate story with us too...