Monday, February 9, 2009

Speaking "Delia"

I've noticed that Delia's talking has subtly shifted as of late. She continues to collect words to add to her growing vocabulary list, but she is now learning how to string those words together to make herself understood. For example:

"Uh-oh. Eeeese. WeeWee. Uh-oh." This meant, "Oh no, I've dropped my cheese on the floor and now Lily has eaten it."

Or

"MommyMommyMommyMommy! Bee-Bee. Ed." This meant, "Mommy! It is completely urgent that you help me get this hat on the baby's head!"

Of course, these statements came with motions and props (like the baby doll) and I wouldn't expect anyone but those of us in her immediate family to know what she's talking about. However, this stage of early talking may be my favorite of all the milestones. To watch my little ones figure out how to communicate and that I understand exactly what they want and need is so cool!

3 comments:

Gail said...

Way to go, Delia! She is really growing up. I remember being awed when Anna started putting words together. It's so fun to see/listen what they do with language. Although, I'm sometimes alarmed when I hear my words coming out of her mouth! I've been keeping a log of fun things Anna's been saying. Some of them crack me up.

Anonymous said...

Wee Waa wee wuv wooo - translation: Delia, I love you!

Okay, a very cheesy post, I know! BUT, I just loved this message about her and had to comment.

love, auntie karen

Wicker Family said...

:-) Love this! (Anika still translates for me sometimes with Andrew - does Ella do that for Delia?)