Friday, August 31, 2007

Happy Birthday, Heather!



Yesterday was my sister's birthday. With all the excitement of the State Fair, I didn't get to post a birthday blog about her. We are so happy that her visit fell over her birthday so that we could celebrate with her. We had a special breakfast yesterday morning and then let her open her present (a big bag full of Old Navy outfits and shoes-- Ella opened most of it). At night we made a delicious dinner of Chicken Picatta, rice, salad from the garden and Skor cake. I warned Heather that her birthday would be more about Ella than her, and sure enough we sang "Happy Birthday" about 100 times last night and not just to Heather, we all got to be celebrated!
For my entire life my sister has been my best friend. She is my only sibling and the reason I was thrilled when we found out Ella would have a sister too. Heather and I love a lot of the same things-- shopping, "I Love Lucy," animals and hiking, to name just a few. But, we are very different also. She is a nurse in the ICU, a job I would never have the strength to do. One of the best things Heather did was marry Dan. He is a great man and we love having him in our family. What a fun week we have to look forward to! I love my sister and every time she visits we end up having so much fun.

2 comments:

Dorina Gilmore said...

Ooh, that cake looks fabulous. I'm so impressed with your cooking, Jen. You should post the recipe...
Bon Appetit!
Dorina

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Heather!! What a nice tribute to your sister, Jen. How fun that she could visit over her birthday. It sounds like you made it a very special day for her. I hope they are enjoying staying in "Grandma's house". That is so great that you have that extra room in the back. Have a great time with Heather, Dan and Anna. Give our love to each of them. Love, MOM