Sunday, August 5, 2007

Our Loving and Faithful God

"I love you more than the sun and the stars that I taught how to shine, you are mine and you shine for me too. I love you, yesterday and today and tomorrow, I'll say it again and again...I love you more! And I see you and I made you and I love you more than you can imagine, more than you can fathom..."

These special words were sung by our praise band today in honor of Delia's baptism. The baptism was full of tears, meaning and some humor. A lot of special music (including this long-time beloved song, "More," as well as my favorite hymn, "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" and a unique baptism version of the song "In Christ Alone" with Delia's name inserted in one of the verses) was planned for us, bringing on the tears. I love the meaning of what God is promising when we bring our children to the baptismal fount... the amazing love that we can't even fathom-- a love for Delia that stronger than Dave's or mine, a love for Delia that is stronger than for some of the incredible things God himself has created!

The laughs came while Delia proceeded to scream through the entire introduction and sacrament. Pastor Bruce blessed her with peace, "that would come RIGHT NOW" and attempted to show up Daddy in how he handled her (he is a grandpa, but even his magic touch didn't last long). I was nervous about her doing this exact thing, combined with Ella in church for the first time...it was an experience!

Of other special note: Delia's beautiful white baptism dress was a gift from none other than her namesake, Auntie Kris.

Except for the sadness we are all feeling over having to say goodbye to Mom and Dad, it was a wonderful morning!


5 comments:

tlg said...

Dave and Jen,
I'm sorry we couldn't be there with you to celebrate Delia's baptism. It sounds like it was a very memorable occasion! We are thinking of you so often.

Love you,
Teri and family

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Wow-when Mom and Dad called and told me that a special song had Delia's name in it this morning, I kind of just envisioned a b-i-n-g-o type thing! That must have been so amazing. I love the picture of the family and grandparents. Delia is really putting her soul into that yawn-it must have been tiring being the center of attention all morning. So, for the millionth time (this is all I've been saying in my comments!) I really wish I could have been there.
Love, Love you guys,
(Auntie) Kris

Dorina Gilmore said...

Congratulations! You all look gorgeous. And how fun to celebrate this meaningful service with your church family and Dave's family.

If you're up for more visitors, I was thinking about coming up on Thursday or the following week. I'll call you later.

Dorina

Anonymous said...

The tears were coming down on this end as well... Jen, you are such a good writer that I feel as though I can truly envision the day! Of course, its not exactly the same as being there - unfortunately. :-(

Thanks for sharing the experience with us! We love you!

Sarah VB said...

It sounds like you had a BEAUTIFUL service! I remember you sharing the words to that song with me when we were in Ella's nursery ~ and I've loved it ever since!