Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Early Father's Day

Dave leaves on Friday for his week+ at Hi Camp. This is an annual convention for students from our youth group and others around California. It is held in the beautiful, forresty coastal mountains, minutes from the Pacific and is a true "mountain top" experience for all who attend. I'm excited for Dave to have this time to bond with his students and be spiritually challenged, but it does mean we won't see him on Sunday for Father's Day. He is such an awesome dad that we couldn't let him go uncelebrated, so we are doing Father's Day today! We woke him up with hugs, "Happy Father's Day!"s, and a gift of Ladder Ball (aka "Horse Balls" or "Hillbilly Golf"). Then we delivered a giant chocolate mocha to him at work and tonight I have special dinner and dessert planned.

I was originally stressing about the long time I'd be Dave-less, but some exciting new developments have just occurred! I will be attending Mt. Hermon with the girls for the week! Dave's Hi Camp is actually affiliated with this renowned Christian Camp and many families from our church go to the Family Camp that occurs simultaneously with and nearby Hi Camp. Someone from church has generously offered to help pay for our registration fees and one call confirmed that there is plenty of space for us yet. Family Camp at Mt. Hermon includes amazing child care/day camp for Delia and Ella, special speakers and worship times for me, plenty of family fun (like organized pool games, campfires, carnivals and BBQs), all our meals in a dining hall and even a day away-- a train ride to the Santa Cruz board walk! I'm thinking it will be like the summer camp I grew up going to (except for adults) complete with 2 of my best friends, Julie and Teri, going with their families. God really worked out the details so that not only would I would not have to stay home alone, but I could go and have this spiritually recharging, super-fun time with my friends and girls!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen, I am so happy to hear that. Sounds like it will be a great week for you - and the girls. I'm sure that Ella will enjoy it, and hopefully Delia will do okay. Maybe you will even get to see Dave now and then? Have a great time!
Love,
MOM

KyleVM said...

We've had heat indeces of up to 107 degrees, so that Venti Starbucks looks awfully good to me right now. Happy Father's Day and I hope everyone has a great week at camp!

Kyle

Dorina Gilmore said...

I was sorry we couldn't keep you company this week but it sounds like you have quite the fun activities planned! I'll be anxious to read all about camp...
Dorina