Monday, February 4, 2008

Busy Baking

This year I have been once again blessed to be a part of Tuesday morning Coffee Break at my church. We are doing a Beth Moore study (my 3rd now). This year's study is of Daniel, which is intriguing and convicting. We study one chapter every two weeks and have learned for 6 weeks what it means to live lives of integrity in a Babylon-like culture. The next 6 weeks of the study will focus on the end-time prophecies and eschatology-type lessons that can be found in the second half of Daniel.

With the arrival of Delia this summer, I had decided to not participate in Bible study this year. I thought it would be too much work to get us ready and out the door every week and to keep up with the homework that is a part of it. I was not ready to leave Delia in the nursery either. The morning in September when it started, I was on my way to Target (to buy things I'm sure I didn't really need) when I got stopped by a train. God actually spoke to me and said, "If you can be ready and make it out to go shopping, you surely can go to church." So, I turned the car around, pulled into church and enrolled for the year. It has not been super easy. I have to exercise much discipline to stay on top of the lessons and Delia has spent a few mornings keeping Dave from getting anything done because she's too hysterical to be in the nursery, but overall I am so thankful God turned me around and brought me back to Bible study this year. He is teaching me a lot.

Tomorrow I am in charge of the "Sweet Snack" (but don't worry, Dorina, there is also the option of a "Healthy Snack!") So, today my oven has seen: Triple Chunk Brownies, Red Velvet Cupcakes and Almond Bars. The Almond Bar recipe is over to the left-- it is SO easy and tastes a lot like the much-more-difficult-to-make Banket. As always, Ella was my little kitchen helper--vigilant about stepping in to help lick spatulas!


2 comments:

Dorina Gilmore said...

Hi Jen,

I'm so glad you heard God whispering in your ear and decided to pursue the Daniel study this semester. I know God has been teaching you a lot & your friends and family even benefit from your journey.

Love your valentine treats. I'm on for treats next Tuesday at my Bible study. Thanks for the ideas!

Happy Hearts!

Dorina

Sarah VB said...

Mmmmm! Yummy! I wanna come you your bible study tomorrow! Not only because I love Beth Moore, but because I think I'd love to sample those brownies too! (: