Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Mouse in the Oven

I hate to admit it, but a while ago we had a mouse living in our kitchen-- under our oven. This was a combination of fascinating and terrifying to Ella. She would love to explain how "Daddy is going to catch the mouse with peanut butter then bring it outside," yet when I would say things like, "Should we name our mouse?" she would reply, "NO! He is too scary to even talk about!"

To make us laugh even more about all this, we got a hilarious letter in the mail from Auntie Kris. Here is an excerpt: "My heart finally just stopped racing! I went to the kitchen to wash the coffee pot and Melvin was running all goofy CHASING A MOUSE! Even just to write it down there makes me want to run to the bathroom and check my undies!! So I screamed my lungs out and locked myself in the office where I am now huddled on a chair wearing a bike helmet I found in the closet..." Of course, as soon as Ella heard she had a mouse buddy, she had to call Auntie Kris to compare mouse stories.

Recently we found this very realistic play mouse at the bottom of a toy box. (A shout out to our wacky friends Nick and Amy who send us random and silly things in the mail. I think a fake gold tooth was also included in this mouse package...) What did Ella do when she found it? Marched right over to her play kitchen and put it in the oven!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Nice to get a "shout out" :)
I'm glad some of the random mail is put to good use!
Your girls are darling! Have fun with the mice!
:)

Dorina Gilmore said...

Mmmm...I feel a mouse brownie recipe coming on. Watch out world, here comes Chef Ella.