Thursday, February 14, 2008

Feeling Creative this Valentines

Happy Valentines Day, family and friends!


Once again this year, in finding ways to be festive and fun for the holiday, we've also found much joy. We started over a week ago with the Valentine making extravaganza. Since Ella is constantly asking me, "Can I do a craft?" I decided to let her have a go at hand-making Valentines for each of her family members and friends. Maybe you've gotten yours in the mail? Yesterday we made extra special Valentines for Daddy. Even Delia got in the spirit, pressing her finger-painted hand-prints onto a card. At the card store, I was tickled to find the SAME Valentine that I gave Dave 13 years ago for our first Valentines Day together in high school! I, of course, had to give it to him again. He, of course, did not remember (men...go figure!) Dave was really sweet in taking Ella out yesterday to pick out a little Valentine gift and some candy for me (even though we said no presents.)



One of the most fun parts of Valentines Day is the mail! Grandpa is especially good at spoiling the girls in his life on this special day of love. I remember getting Valentines from him when I was just dating his son! This year he gave us thoughtful cards, chocolates, Trader Joe alphabet cookies and stuffed animals. Look how polite Delia is opening her card before diving into the gifts! In our mailbox today we also found a Valentine and heart cookies from Jonathan.



And for the second year now, I decided to forgo formal gifts for Dave and the kids and instead do some fancy baking to treat them (and the office staff at church). A tradition in the making, perhaps. This year we made Tiramisu Brownies. Check out the recipe to the left if you are up for making this decadent dessert.

3 comments:

KyleVM said...

I got my one and only Valentine this year from Ella! It's beautiful and came with a picture of Delia. I love how good you guys are at celebrating holidays. Happy Valentine's to all.

-Uncle Kyle

Gail said...

Hi Ella,
Thanks for the cute Valentine's day card! It was fun to get my very own mail. Thanks for thinking of me. I love looking at pictures of you that your mom puts on the blog. I named my doll Ella after you! Happy Valentine's Day!
Love, Anna

Dorina Gilmore said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you! Thanks SO much for our homemade card. We love the meaningful ways you celebrate each holiday & they're always good ideas for our family. Thanks for the new recipe. Sounds decadent & delicious.
Hearts,
Ericlee, Dorina & Meilani