Saturday, February 23, 2008

Bye-Bye "Bice-ifier"

It is probably time to tell you that Ella is completely a big girl now. Besides using the potty, sleeping in the big girl bed and getting dressed by herself, a week and a half ago she surrendered her pacifier. She has relied on this friend to help her fall asleep her whole life. While we appreciated the peace it brought us when she was a baby, we kept trying to find the right time to end this habit. Trips home, a new baby and one fresh transition after another kept putting this off. For a while we've been talking about giving the pacifiers to a baby who might need them more than Ella. On Valentines Day she decided on her own it was time to give them to Jonathan and Miss Amy's new baby (they are in the process of adopting). She picked out her own gift bag and wrapped them in tissue paper herself. Then we made a trip over to her friend's house where she put the pacifiers in the crib of their waiting nursery.

She took 2 bad naps without them. Not knowing how to soothe herself to sleep on Valentines Day, we found her sleeping sitting up with her head nodding against the wall. That night she was sick (we're not sure if she made herself sick). But, since then we've had smooth sailing. When Jonathan and Amy came over this week Ella said, "They will bring my pacifiers in the fancy bag and then I will be able to suck on them." This is the only indication we've had that she is still thinking about these guys, since her sleep appears to be back to normal.

Have you noticed a new page element over there to the left? I am starting a new advice feature. I do not presume to know enough about parenting to hand out my own advice, though, so this comes from you! Delia is also getting attached to her pacifier. I don't necessarily want to deal with it for the next 2 years. What suggestions do you have for ridding your children of this addiction? Leave me a comment and I'll share your wisdom with us all.

2 comments:

alison said...

I took Harrison's paci away one morning a month ago-it was hard for 2 days, but now I am so glad we don't have it anymore! I love your blog-you make me feel like a slacker mom!
Alison

Lyndsay said...

I dont have any suggestions, but I'm eager to hear advice. My son is totally addicted to his, we'll be doing something like you did with Ella, when he is a bit older. But I'm not sure I want our next one to be so binki dependant. I look forward to more advice!