Sunday, May 11, 2008

Considering the Contradiction of Motherhood





With the celebration of Mother's Day, I've been appreciating God as the Glorious Designer and Creator. How interestingly he devised motherhood! One the one side of this amazing relationship I am blessed to be a part of is extreme validation, self worth and power. It is my arms alone that can stop those tears. It is me the little ones come running/crawling to with the giant smile of excitement. My ultimate authority lies in the simple explanation to my willful toddler, "MOMMY gets to make the decisions, YOU need to do what I tell you." The point of getting out of bed to tackle each day is extremely clear-- take care of the girls. The feeling of purpose is obvious. I know without a doubt that I am loved and needed. On me their whole life is dependant.

Lest one get a giant ego or wander down a path of power, there is complete humility in motherhood also. Ultimately motherhood is not about boosting self worth or finding personal purpose, it is about being a servant. God humbles us with the responsibilities of being Mommy: feeding, bathing, playing with and actively teaching our children even when all we desperately want is to sleep, shower or have some "Me Time." When I am wiping booties and drippy noses, kissing ouchies or cleaning the mashed bananas and spit-up off of me, the realization that I am called to serve and minister to my children sets in. The denial of self is a regular part of mothering little ones.

What a neat combination of validation and humility motherhood is. They fit together perfectly so that the sacrifice is easy and the desire to say "It's about me" is immediately refuted.

This Mother's Day, once again, love and appreciation has been heaped upon me. Dave declared it "Mother's Week" and filled it with special treats, thoughtful gestures and "I love yous." While he watched our daughters and Julie's, I got a pedicure with my friend and AnnaJean (my CA mom). Dave, Ella and Delia also surprised me with an awesome gift-- the complete series of I Love Lucy on DVD, a gift that I will share with my daughters as my own mom did with me. All this on top of what is already my best gift in life-- my two beautiful girls!

2 comments:

Dorina Gilmore said...

Hi Jen,
I Love your reflection on mothering. It is a strange paradox and such an honor! I have always admired your mothering and I'm so blessed to have a window to your daily world since you're a little ahead of me. You are wonderfully creative. I see you appropriately discipline. And I love how you encourage learning and play. Thank you for your transparency and for your vulnerability along the journey. You push me to be a better mom!
Love,
Dorina

Amy said...

Wow-that was wonderful, Jen!
The gifts that God gives to us so often help us grow deeper or wider in our relationship with him! How amazing.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!